Home        NEWS ARCHIVE

 

News 

 

                   News on 08-12-2004 to 08-01-2005

08.01.05 Motor Cycle Showroom caught Fire at Nungambakkam

          On 8th January, 2005, the TVS Motor Cycle show room caught fire at Nungambakkam. In the midnight smoke came from the showroom. The neighbouring shop owner informed to the Fire Control. As soon as the message was received the Nungambakkam Fire and Rescue Personnel Rushed to the spot and put out the fire after an hour's struggle. 11 new motor cycles and 7 old motor cycles were destroyed by the fire.

 

07.01.05 Fire destroys more than 100 Huts at Kasimedu

          At Power Kuppam near Kasimedu 100 huts caught fire on 7th January 2005. An unfortunate fact is that this is the same area where  two weeks ago a large number of huts were destroyed by the tsunami wave.  The fire accident occurred in the early morning. On receipt of the message  7 water tenders rushed to the spot from nearby Fire and Rescue Stations and put out the fire after an hour's struggle.

 

18.12.04 Two Drainage workers Trapped in the Drainage canal in Trichy

           On 18th December, 2004,  two drainage workers were trapped while digging drainage canal at Armed Force Ground Road near Anna Play Ground, Trichy. Five workers were digging the canal at a depth of 20 feet. Unfortunately the sand caved in and the workers were trapped inside. The Fire and Rescue Personnel from Trichy Fire and Rescue Station rushed to the spot and rescued the workers. The workers Mr. Tamil Mani, Mr. Kumar died and Mr. Ganesan was rescued with serious injuries and  admitted to the Government Hospital.

 

17.12.04 Fire Accident at Chennai Passport Office

          On 17th  December, 2004, a fire accident occurred in Passport Office at Nungambakkam. In the second floor of 5 storeyed Sasthri Bhavan Building, where the Regional Passport Office, Chennai is located. At 8.20 a.m. a switch box caught fire near the computer room and thick smoke came from the box. At once the automatic alarm rang. The watchman rushed to the spot, switched off the power and  informed to  fire control room. The Fire and Rescue Personnel rushed to the spot from Egmore Fire and Rescue Station and put out the fire using carbon di-oxide extinguisher.       

 

16.12.04 Huge Fire at Cracker Factory in Kanchipuram

      On 16th December a cracker factory caught fire  at Dhamalvar street, Kanchipuram. Morning around 11.00 a.m. A small stream of smoke came out from the cracker-godown, which is located in Dhamalvar street.   The workers rushed to the godown to find out the cause of the smoke and tried to put out the fire, suddenly the crackers burst with sound and the godown totally collapsed. The workers, available on the spot were trapped under debris. As soon as the message was received two Fire and Rescue Tenders rushed to the spot and put out the fire. Three dead bodies were recovered from the debris and injured workers were admitted to the Government Hospital.

 

Wisdom International Award for Best Fireman for the year 2004

          On 14th December, 2004, Mr M. Ranganathan was awarded the Best Fireman Award by Wisdom International Magazine.  He was given this award for the bravery shown by him while rescuing a man alive who was trapped under the soil while deepening a well belonging to a private party .  Mr. Ranganathan  courageously descended  to the well to rescue the trapped person.  His efforts were appreciated by one and all who were present at the rescue scene.            

 

14.12.2004 Church and Paper Godown Gutted

       On 14th December, 2004, a fire accident occurred at Mahakavi Bharathi Nagar near Vyasarbady. Midnight around 12.00 p.m a thatched roof hut caught fire and spread over to nearby church, which is constructed by thatched material. The fire spread to the nearby paper godown also. The Fire and Rescue Personnel rushed from Vyasarbady Fire and Rescue Station and put out the fire after half an hour's struggle. The cause of the fire is under police investigation.

 

07.12.2004 Student Drowned  

          On 7th December, 2004, a 14-year old school student drowned while taking bath in the private well at SRVS Colony, Keelkatalai Rainbow Avenue. The body was recovered by Fire and Rescue Personnel and handed over to his family.